Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Riding on the Bus



Sitting on the bus returning to school after a field trip a girl in the opposite seat posed a question to me: “Have you ever met someone who was a premature baby?”  Never having been asked that question before, I wasn’t quite sure where she was going with the discussion.  “Yes…” I answered slowly.  And then she jumped into a long story about how she was a premature baby and she was only 2 ½ pounds when she was born and had to spend several months in the NICU and her mom almost died and … My internal jaw dropped at how casually she was sharing her story. 

But I had spent the day with Micah’s class.  The class is a class of gifted students, with all sorts of students with “multiple exceptionalities.”  That means kids with other learning issues going on as well, from kids with ADHD, kids on the autistic spectrum, etc.  Spending the day with Micah’s class obviously points to spending a day with Micah’s teacher, for whom I have more respect each time I spend time with her. 

Mrs. Graydon exudes acceptance.  She has students of many different backgrounds, many different abilities, many different approaches to life.  She made a point at many times during the day just to wander around and check in with each of the students to touch base with their level of engagement.  She also has an amazing ability to allow students the space to choose to participate, while at the same time making very clear the expectations for the activity.  And each student, in his or her own way and time, came to participate and grow from the experience.  One of the biggest pieces in Mrs. Graydon’s curriculum is helping the students learn to and want to take risks. 

So, when this grade four girl began to share her story with me, I simply continued to chat.  She clearly wanted to engage with me, and this was on her mind.  Stories about premature babies are not my usual beginning topic of conversation with children, nor with “strangers” but, by accepting this girl’s desire to converse, it set the ground for all of the children around her to speak openly.  Even though this girl was in the other class, when the students got off the bus they each made a point to find out my name and say goodbye to me, and then even came up to me again in the hallways as Micah and I were gathering his belongings to go home. 

It was such an opening experience, to watch all of the students in Micah’s class throughout the day, as they explored, played and learned, each in his or her own manner.  And to continue that on the bus in this unexpected, yet totally heartfelt way.  It points to the importance of listening to each person, and to beginning from where each person is ready to begin.  I feel so lucky to have been the only parent on the trip, and to have had the opportunity to have my eyes and heart opened again to the excitement of kids in an engaged environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment